Lesson 7 of 13
We are going to talk some more about this divine pattern: the Witness follows the Record. We learn this simple principle of faith: That which God authorizes in Jesus Christ (the Record), He also empowers (the Witness).
This is what Paul was referring to when he wrote about God’s promise to each believer, that if they walked in the record of Christ (His truth), they would walk in the power of the Spirit (the witness): “and have tasted the good Word of God and the powers of the world to come,” (Hebrews 6:5).
Jesus knew He was the record of our faith. That is why He said, “I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life.” Jesus said that He is truth because He was establishing Himself as the record of our faith. The record of Christ is the blueprint (or pattern) He gave for our faith, and it is the “knowledge” of Him that we are to follow for our expression and experience of Him.
Understanding our experience with God through covenant contact allows us to understand why the Hagar faith leaves Christians empty and in bondage. Mixing Moses’ pattern with the pattern of Jesus Christ and mixing our own ideas and philosophies into faith results in the witness of the Spirit not being joined to the record of Christ. That is why the church experiences these things:
1. The proving ground for faith (the covenant knowledge and tools) is removed. Without the testing of faith there can be no reward. It is only through our cycles of growth, which we experience daily in covenant with God, that we bear the fruit of God in the inner man.
2. The imagination stands in the place of faith. When we try to know God apart from the covenant, we try to develop a relationship with God in the imagination, which is inferior to the record of Christ. Now we can understand why the imagination is not sanctified for faith. God will not use it, the Spirit of God will not rest upon it, and faith will not be empowered.
3. Christians have nothing of value that God will receive. God only values Christ. He said, “This is My beloved Son in whom I AM WELL PLEASED.” This is why we must be joined to Him through the covenant He provided for us to express Him and experience Him.
4. The soul is not preserved. When meat is taken out of the refrigerator it will spoil. So also, the soul spoils when it remains outside that which God has provided to preserve the soul.
5. The soul is not going through renewal, circumcision, or growth. The hearts of those whose faith is not brought into covenant with God is not being circumcised by Him. This is why believers who mix the principles of Moses with the faith of Jesus Christ remain in bondage to sin and are unable to break free from the destructive patterns they find themselves in.
When the soul remains outside of God’s covenant care, it remains open to Satan’s sowing, which only works corruption and death. Healing and life are provided through Jesus Christ for all who join themselves to Him according to the terms God set for faith.
So then, it should be clear that although God produced 2 covenants, He is now only confirming one covenant—the covenant of Jesus Christ. The covenant of Moses, as the bondwoman, Hagar, is incapable of fulfilling God’s promise.